Many doctors, hospitals, chiropractors, dentists, and others have used and old x-ray film. It is important that x-ray film is disposed of correctly and securely. Because disposing of x-ray film can be considered waste or trash, it is often overlooked and the sensitivity of the content is not considered. Below are some instructions as to how to recycle x-ray film.
STEPS TO RECYCLE X-RAY FILM:
1. Gather and collect all of your x-ray film
2. If the x-ray film is packaged in envelopes or sleeves, them remove the trash the envelope
3. Weigh the sleeveless x-film together. In the United States, this weight should be in pounds.
4. Contact an X-ray film recycler
5. Ask the recycler if they are HIPAA certified
6. Ask the recycler if they will provide a “Certificate of Destruction”
7. Ask the recycler will pay of the x-ray film in cash
8. Ask the recycler if they will pick-up the x-ray film